Wednesday, May 23, 2012

the song that wrote my story

There is one song that I have literally listened to several times a day for nigh on three years. Different versions, but the same song. This song has been instrumental in the writing of my novel, and a couple of my characters even sing it (no worries, it's public domain). I even have a tattoo on my foot that says wayfaring. If you are a fan of folk music or music of Appalachia, then you will no doubt recognize this song (it's suspected that it was an old slave spiritual). Here I have three of my favorite versions:

                                                      Wayfaring Stranger

#1. Jack White from the Cold Mountain soundtrack. I remember listening to it over and over again while driving an entire half of I-465 on my way to student teaching one morning, and this was the first time the song really hit me. It made me cry (great for my students to see my red, puffy face that morning). Love this version to no end.

Okay, boo, I can't get it to embed. So, here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70_3ho_j0yk

#2. 16 Horsepower. They have more than one version that I can also listen to over and over again, too. Here's one: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HY3sj5ICHmo

#3. And here's the last version by the Christian group Selah. It's definitely different in style, but I love it just the same. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0edb9O9wPOY


Other amazing versions include: Andy Griffith, Johnny Cash, Emmylou Harris, and a little band from Damascus, Virginia - Fire in the Kitchen.


1 comment:

  1. I love Jack White - so versatile. Thank you for the link.
    Regards,
    Theresa (Tangled Trees)

    ReplyDelete