Saturday, July 21, 2012

Interview with author Tracy Kauffman

Welcome, Tracy!

1. Can you tell us a little bit about yourself?
  I am a new author from North Alabama and love writing for young adults and children.  I am a Christian who is trying to make a difference in the world today.  I hope to inspire others, educate, and edify others in a positive way.
2. Tell us about your upcoming book(s).
My book, Gwendolyn's Wish is a children's fiction fantasy book about a young girl named Gwen.  She has no friends until she meets her neighbor, Zahara.  Zahara has a magical parrot.  She tells Gwen about how she can acquire her own special companion.  Soon, she receives her parrot who can grant wishes.  He tells her that he can grant one wish a year, so she must think hard, about what she wants her wish to be. She tells the parrot her wish and she receives more than she bargains for.
3. What else are you working on?
 I have another book, My Boyfriend the Squire that I am currently taking orders for.  I am writing a new story for teens that has a special twist.  I hope you will stay tuned.
4. What book(s) have inspired your writing?
The classics like Pride and Prejudice, The Adventures of Tom Sawyer, Little Women are great books that will inspire people for years to come.  My favorite book that I had read lately is African Ice by Jeff Buick.  It is an adventure and romance book about a strong woman that goes into Africa to find diamonds.
5. What do you do when you experience writer's block?
The only time I have experience writers block is when I am writing on something that I don't know a lot about, such as with this book that I have been working on that is a historical fiction.  I don't want to make the story too different than the way it was, therefore I try to be careful and watch what I say.  When I get writers block as far as that goes, I do research on the internet that relates to the storyline.
6. What has been the toughest criticism given to you as an author? What has been the best compliment?
I am a new author and therefore haven't really had a lot of criticism and compliments yet, but my family have read what I've written and tried to compliment me regarding how I wrote.  It is hard for me to accept that, because they are afterall my family.
7. What advice do you have to aspiring writers?
Don't give up.  Watch what you write about, for people of all ages might read your books.  I do not want to write anything that might bring a negative influence to someone else.

My website:  http://tracykauffman.yolasite.com
To order Gwendolyn's Wish:    http://www.publishamerica.net/product48538.html
To order My Boyfriend the Squire:     http://sbpra.com/TracyKauffman/
My blog: http://tracykauffman.blogspot.com

1 comment:

  1. Great interview! I think it's wonderful that you are using your talents that God has given you to write stories for children and teens. It can be hard to find literature, especially for young adults, that teaches a lesson.

    Criticism can be tough, but the entire point of it is so that you can improve. Just remember that it is constructive criticism, ugly comments disguised as criticism should be ignored.

    Keep up the good work!
    Dorothy

    ReplyDelete